#antioxidant, #barleans, #berrysmoothie, #chiaseed, #cinnamon, #coffeealternatives, #dailybeverage, #earthcircleorganics, #energy, #energyboost, #ginger, #greentea, #greenteaberrysmoothie, #immuneboost, #juice, #juicing, #masonjar, #matchadna, #numi, #numitea, #simplybalanced, #smoothie, #target, #vitamix, #wakeup, #wegmans, #wheatmt
Juicing is a big part of my life. Where many of you can’t begin your day without your favorite cup of joe, my go to morning beverage is a green tea berry smoothie. J and I are not big coffee drinkers, but don’t get me wrong, I love the smell and taste of fresh brewed coffee. For me the crash I experience after caffeine does its magic, feels much worse that the tiredness I battle with when first waking up. As I suffer from low energy, a weakened immune and fatigue, I’ve found that juicing is a great way to naturally boost my energy without relying on caffeine. I also swear by it to help me ward off illnesses during peak cold and flu seasons.
We’ve been fortunate enough to have a Vitamix on loan from friends for the past year, and I can say we’d be lost without it. I attempted making fresh juice everyday but it started to be a pain. With the Vitamix we’re able to make six servings of juice or smoothie at a time, which we store in mason jars in the fridge, allowing the two of us to have a healthy breakfast option for three days. The longer fresh juice is exposed to air, the more health benefits it begins to lose. But three days is a pretty safe bet in most of the resources that I’ve found. My tried and true recipe for our daily smoothie is loaded with antioxidants from berries and green tea. Green tea has also been shown to aid in combating some cancers. I also rely on fresh ginger to help give my immune system a boost. Here is a basic recipe followed by optional add-ins (that we do include each time we make this).
Recipe by mmvsmm.com
Makes 6 servings (reduce by 1/6 to make a single serving) based on 64oz/2L blender
- 3 cups organic unsweetened almond milk (we use Wegman’s brand)
- 16oz organic decaf green tea (we use Numi decaf green tea with ginger and lemon)
- 3 cups organic kale (can use spinach as a substitute)
- 2 cups organic berry blend (we use Target’s Simply Balanced Berry Blend)
- 1 whole lemon, juiced (or if using high powered blender, removed the skin and throw the whole thing in)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
- Fresh ground cinnamon to taste (did you know cinnamon can have AMAZING health benefits?
Optional add-ins (with links to brands we use of our own choosing):
- 3 tablespoons high quality flax seed oil for omega-3s
- 3 tablespoons organic chia seeds soaked in water for extra antioxidants, fiber and omega-3s
- 3 teaspoons matcha powder for extra antioxidants and EGCG
- 2 teaspoons chlorella powder for vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, protein and chorlophyll
We do not sweeten any of our juices or smoothies as we find the fruit to be sweet enough. If you like things on the sweeter side try adding in raw agave, honey, or maple syrup. A couple of tablespoons should do the trick!
- Add ingredients into blender, liquids first
- Blend on high
- Pour into mason jars, seal jars with lids and refrigerate
- Enjoy as your morning breakfast or as a mid day snack!